Self Publishing Guide To Writing A Successful Media Release
The media release is the simplest and most effective form of generating publicity for your book. In fact, if done correctly your media release can get you nation-wide publicity for free. However, journalists receive hundreds of releases a day so unfortunately many releases are not read before they are thrown into the bin.
If you want your release to be read you need to grab the journalists' attention and connect with them. Here are some tips for achieving success with your media release:
• It must be one page. No matter how amazing you are or how much you have done, your release must be no longer than a page.
• Use 12-point typeface. Don't try and include more information by using a small font. It has to be easy to read and short enough for a journalist to glance through it quickly.
• Have 1.5 line spacing, even double space if possible. Once again this makes it easier and quicker for a journalist to scan through.
• Have large margins which allow enough room for a journalist to write notes around your release.
• Make sure you grab the journalist's attention immediately by writing a great headline that is interesting, yet also explains what the release is about. It doesn't have to be a play-on-words or funny, so don't try and be clever.
• Your first paragraph needs to be like your heading – interesting! Make sure you keep sentences short, sharp and punchy.
• Include quotes to add credibility to your release and add further interest.
• Ensure you have included contact details, including a contact name.
• Conclude your release with a final line that pulls everything together and contains the important details about your book.
• Journalists won't read releases that are poorly-written. Make sure you check for grammar and spelling mistakes before your send it.
These tips act as a guide to help you write effective media releases that will grab attention. While they may seem minor details, they are important tips to follow because journalists work in a fast-pace environment and receive countless releases everyday. Your job is to work with the journalist so they can provide the exposure that you want and need.
Dale Beaumont is the author of this article. He is an internationally renowned book publishing expert, the author of 16 best-selling books and the creator of the Get Published Secrets Program.
To discover how the Get Published Secrets Program can help YOU become a best selling author in record time, click on the link below now:
Have you claimed your FREE 68 Minute Audio and 43–page Publishing Guide (valued at $147)?
If not complete the form below now and your FREE gift will be sent to you immediately.